Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Time to Turn Down the Volume

The subject is noise pollution: is anybody listening? We're in "stage-1 alert" for bad noises that are starting to consume the area. This is big and I, for one, am firing the first shot for establishing awareness of this problem and seeking solutions beginning at the grass-root level.
First, in no way can I cover the full width and breadth of this issue in one column. Second, enough has been written about the dangers to humans, wildlife and the environment that some serious federal and state laws are in place to protect us from the evils of loud.
But thanks to some cunning politicians in D.C., the average citizen is unable to make sense of what the laws mean.
There's a ton of research on noise pollution from work environment issues to the effects of urban noise pollution on blood pressure of kids and, would you believe, the impact on whales.
But I define it like I define wind; you know it's there whether you see it or not.
My concern is that, with such growth in the central North Carolina region, we're generating increased levels of noise that are becoming more than noticeable. If we make people aware of the pollution now, we may have a chance to reduce it.
I found out that the dominant form of noise pollution comes from transportation sources, principally motor vehicles. But now you have to ask the question, "does this also include noise from inside the vehicle, too?" Practically every driver has experienced the vehicle that has pulled up beside or behind you and, even with your windows up, rattles your cage with man-made thunder.
In my quiet, almost serene neighborhood, there is some kid in his SUV who drives by daily with a near heart-stopping set of pounding subwoofers that penetrate the walls of my house as well as other homes. He lives one block over and the sound continues until he turns off the engine. (Harrumph - wait until he reaches the age of 40 and his inner-ear buzz begins.)
For those unfamiliar with the term "subwoofer" it refers to a loudspeaker that produces low-bass frequencies and can be found at concert halls, in theaters, automobiles and is common place among home audio systems. Oh, I've got one in the house too, a 500-watt cherry cabinet beauty I call 'Bubba." Given enough juice, it can actually shake out the windows in my family room when playing an action-oriented DVD.
But I've learned the hard way that I don't have to crank it up so high, especially when my wife is yelling at the top of her lungs to turn it down. And she's standing at the other end of the room.
Therefore, I'm thinking the only way to grapple with this issue is to initiate a grass-roots campaign called "Lower da Noise, Lower da Funk." I'm applying for Stimulus Funds to make up some flyers, T-shirts and bumper stickers with an "ear," a big red V and an arrow pointing south. That ought to attract some attention. But I'll need help from you good citizens, too.
I believe we can all do a great community service by each of us drafting a list of our top 10 noise pollutants. Then start discussions on ideas to reduce noise levels so that we can save our environment and our hearing.
My list isn't totally practical, but one note: Disco was officially removed from my list 25 years ago.
Hey (shouting), anybody know a good ear doctor?

TOM'S TOP TEN NOISE POLLUTANTS
1. College Stadiums with more than 30,000 attending.
2. People in public who shout on their cell phones or blue tooth.
3. That kid with the subwoofer.
4. Hip-Hop Soundtracks that make your car shake.
5. Any song by KISS.
6. Opening of any "Star Wars" movie.
7. Rush-Hour Traffic on I-40, I-85, I-95, the Beltline, etc.
8. Women who scream when their girlfriends get engaged.
9. My Wife when the Redskins or Panthers fumble.
10. My Wife when the Redskins or Panthers score a touchdown.

No comments: